Director of Research Strategy
Carrie is Director of Research Strategy, contributing to the Autism Research Centre’s strategy and development together with providing support to the Director, staff and students.
Carrie has a degree in Psychology from Durham University, and did her PhD and post-doc at the Autism Research Centre, in collaboration with the Institute of Public Health (whose team includes Professors Carol Brayne and Fiona Matthews). She conducted a population prevalence study of autism in primary school age children using the CAST (Childhood Autism Screening Test), and a population screening study evaluating the Q-CHAT (Quantitative Checklist for Autism in Toddlers), in 18-30 month old toddlers. She developed ‘Red Flags’ to improve autism identification, based around the adult, adolescent, and child versions of the Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ), as well as the Q-CHAT. The AQ-10 is recommended in the NICE Guidelines for Autism in Adults: diagnosis and management (CG142).
Her work is funded by the Templeton World Charitable Foundation, the Autism Research Trust, the NIHR Applied Research Collaboration East of England (formerly CLAHRC East of England – Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care) and The Wellcome Trust.
- The Quantitative Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (Q–CHAT). A population screening study with follow-up: the case for multiple time–point screening for autism, BMJ Paediatrics Open 5 (2021), C Allison, F E Matthews, L Ruta, G Pasco, R Soufer, C Brayne, T Charman, S Baron-Cohen
- Validation of the Quantitative Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (Q-CHAT) in an Italian clinical sample of young children with Autism and Other Developmental Disorders, Frontiers in Psychology 10 (2019), L Ruta, F Chiarotti, G M Arduino, F Apicella, E Leonardi, R Maggio, C Carrozza, N Chericoni, V Costanzo, N Turco, G Tartarisco, A Gagliano, C Allison, S Baron Cohen, G Pioggia, F Muratori
- Gender differences in self-reported camouflaging in autistic and non-autistic adults, Autism 24, 2 (2019), L Hull, M C Lai, S Baron-Cohen, C Allison, P Smith, K V Petrides, W Mandy
- Autistic Traits in Adults who have Attempted Suicide, Molecular Autism 10, 26 (2019), G Richards, R Kenny, S Griffiths, C Allison, D Mosse, R Holt, R C O’Connor, S Cassidy, S Baron-Cohen
- The Vulnerability Experiences Quotient (VEQ): A study of vulnerability, mental health and life satisfaction in autistic adults, Autism Research 10, 1516-1528 (2019), S Griffiths, C Allison, R Kenny, R Holt, P Smith, S Baron‐Cohen
- Fetal Anogenital Distance Using Ultrasound, Prenatal Diagnosis 39, 27-535 (2019), E Aydin, R Holt, D Chaplin, R Hawkes, C Allison, G Hackett, T Austin, A Tsompanidis, L Gabis, S I Ziv, S Baron-Cohen
Return to staff directory